October 23, 2010

Review of "Enchanted Ivy"

"Enchanted Ivy"
Sarah Beth Durst



4


Pub. Date:
October 12, 2010
Pages:
320

Synopsis: What Lily Carter wants most in the world is to attend Princeton University just like her grandfather. When she finally visits the campus, Grandpa surprises her: She has been selected to take the top-secret Legacy Test. Passing means automatic acceptance to Princeton. Sweet!

Lily's test is to find the Ivy Key. But what is she looking for? Where does she start? As she searches, Lily is joined by Tye, a cute college boy with orange and black hair who says he's her guard. That's weird. But things get seriously strange when a gargoyle talks to her. He tells her that there are two Princetons—the ordinary one and a magical one—and the Key opens the gate between them. But there are more secrets that surround Lily. Worse secrets.

When Lily enters the magical Princeton, she uncovers old betrayals and new dangers, and a chance at her dream becomes a fight for her life. Soon Lily is caught in a power struggle between two worlds, with her family at its center. In a place where Knights slay monsters, boys are were-tigers, and dragons might be out for blood, Lily will need all of her ingenuity and courage—and a little magic—to unite the worlds and unlock the secrets of her past and her future.

"Enchanted Ivy" is a fun, fast read with a unique plot that sucks readers in. I absolutely loved Sarah Beth Durst's book "Ice" and am happy that I was not disappointed with "Enchanted Ivy", which is impressive because I've been dying to read it since I first heard the synopsis. I had very little time to read this week, but every second I got I spent reading this book. I was almost late to one of the lectures because I was so wrapped up in the book I forgot to look at my watch! I just got sucked into Lily's search for the key and the truth about her family. "Enchanted Ivy" moved really fast, as soon as one problem was solved a whole other issue would come up.

Something I loved about the book was how Durst used real landmarks in Princeton in her book, it made me want to go and check out all the details she added into her book. I loved how the alumni parade, P Rade, played a part in the story; it just added a lot of life to the story. I also liked the role the FitzRandolph Gate played as the bridge between two worlds. The fact that Durst used real landmarks in her story made the book more believable.

I really liked the characters. The interactions between Lily and the two main male characters were really funny. I kept smiling and giggling to myself while reading. I think part of the reason I didn't love this book is that I wanted more of the characters. The book almost felt too fast and I wish I had more of Lily. I also liked how quirky Lily's mom was and liked the addition of her mental struggles to the book. This sounds twister, but I knew there was something more going on and I just couldn't wait to figure out where Durst was going with this.

If you like fantasy and paranormal books, this book needs to be on your "to read" list. I also highly recommend reading "Ice" if you haven't read it. I can't wait to see what Durst will write next! This makes it clearer than ever that I really need to read Sarah's first two books "Into the Wild" and "Out of the Wild". If you are interested in this book then be on the look out for the contest I will be holding.

*I received this book from the publisher for review*

8 comments:

  1. Great review! In fact, I have it in my TBR pile, and you have officially made me even happier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, glad you liked it. I would not get this in a few weeks. My hard copy of it was so shiny. Go to your local bookstore and coverage for PET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. Already a fan of ice Sarah Durst. I could not wait to read his next book. He did not disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! It really was a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book.It is really very good and helpful information that you have provided here.I hope that many people will really like these information.Go to your local bookstore and coverage for PET.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good collection of books. I really like it very much. Too much impressive I am waiting for its next addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to appreciate you for posting such nice informative information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its very great review i will waiting next review thans for sharing this review
    ---------------
    تتميز شركة رواد التميز بانها افضل شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام حيث تستخدم اقوى المعدات الحديثه والمتطوره والحديثه
    افضل شركات النظافه بالدمام

    ReplyDelete