June 28, 2011

Review of Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant

"Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant"
Mark Jeffrey


Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant 
3

Pub. Date: April 26th, 2011
Pages: 304
Publisher: HarperCollins

Synopsis: Max Quick is a pickpocket, a vagabond, an orphan, and a thief. Even so, nothing about him seems particularly special . . . until one day when time mysteriously stops. Suddenly, nearly everyone in the world is frozen in time—except for Max. 

Now Max must journey across America to find the source of the Time-stop. Along the way, he meets others who aren't suspended in time, like Casey, a girl who's never been on her own until now. Together, as they search for the cause of this disaster, Max and his companions encounter ancient mysteries, magic books, and clues to the riddle of stopped time. But relentless and mysterious villains are hot on Max's heels and will do everything in their power to prevent Max from ending the Time-stop. And the closer Max gets to the answers, the more it seems that his own true identity is not what he once believed. 

Racing against a clock that no longer ticks, Max must embrace his past to save his future—and the world—from being altered forever.

"Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant" was a  fast paced read with lots of action.  I was hooked on this book after the first chapter and I had to find out what was going on.  Why was time stopped and why weren't Max and Casey affected?!  As I got more and more into the book, I just HAD to know why Max was missing his memory and who he really was.  If these mysteries aren't enough, there are many more that pop up throughout the book to keep your interest peaked. I would go into more details, but I HATE spoilers in reviews!

Even though the book was fast paced, I wish there had been more character development.  I wish Max's quest to find himself had been more of a driving force in this book.  There are moments where Max's identity is a top priority, but they are fleeting.  It almost feels like there are just too many mysteries happening in one book.  This is good for keeping the reader interested, but I like to be a little more connected with my characters.  This book almost felt like a complete series, or at least 2/3 of one, because of all the different mysteries that were solved and the number of villains- it kind of reminds me of Spider-Man 3.  

"Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant" is a combination of sci-fi and adventure that will have readers hooked from start to finish.  Fans of Percy Jackson will enjoy Max's quest to learn the mysteries of the Time Pocket as well as his own identity.  This book is probably best suited for reluctant readers or readers who enjoy non-stop action, but I think most readers will enjoy "Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant".

*I did receive a free ARC of this book for review.

Buy From BN.com   Buy From Amazon.com

2 comments:

  1. First: THANKS for taking the time to review and read the book -- always an honor when someone does that! :)

    Second: You are right that I left Max's identity / memory loss out of this book ... but it is the primary focus of Book Two, wherein it is revealed. I have to leave you wondering about SOMETHING to get you to come back, right? ;)

    Nevertheless: Advice taken to heart, I will endeavor to make the next book more satisfying for you character-wise and leave less dangling :)

    Thanks again!!
    - Mark Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Thanks for giving me the chance to review your book! I really enjoyed it.

    I am glad to hear that Max's identity/ memory loss will be a large part of the next book... it is definitely making me want to get my hands on it. Damn you authors and leaving me with unanswered questions ;)

    I must add that I am glad your book appeals to middle grade boys because it is so hard to get them to keep reading. Your book is one that I can see boys picking up and wanting more.

    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete