February 27, 2012

Review of "Flipped"

“Flipped”
by  Wendelin Van Draanen
My Rating:
 Pub. Date: February 13, 2012
Pages: 224
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: Library
Edition: E-book and Paperback
Synopsis: Flipped is a romance told in two voices. The first time Juli Baker saw Bryce Loski, she flipped. The first time Bryce saw Juli, he ran. That’s pretty much the pattern for these two neighbors until the eighth grade, when, just as Juli is realizing Bryce isn’t as wonderful as she thought, Bryce is starting to see that Juli is pretty amazing. How these two teens manage to see beyond the surface of things and come together makes for a comic and poignant romance.


In alternating chapters, two teenagers describe how their feelings about themselves, each other, and their families have changed over the years.


When I first started “Flipped” I was a bit concerned because it took me a little while to get into it.  I thought the premise was cute, but for 50 pages I believed that was all the book had to offer.  I had no idea this book would have such an emotional impact.  One of the characters seemed to be pulled right out of my life and it touched me on a personal level.  I know not everyone can have this experience while reading “Flipped”, but it just amazes me how books can strike such a cord with an individual that you feel like the book was written just for you.

Why would other people like to read this book?  The characters are great.  You may not always like them, but they are so real you can’t help getting wrapped up in their story.  The love story in “Flipped” is very cute, but there are also very seriously issues, integrity and family are two big ones, which move the book past just a cute read.  I wish someone had actually told me this was more than just a love story, because for some reason that never sunk in for me. 

“Flipped” is a book that can be relatable to many readers for multiple reasons.  The situations are things that people face every day and the characters will grow on you like mold on 20 day old bread; hopefully, you’ll fine most of the characters more pleasant than mold. ;)  This really is a great book to read on your own or for a book club.  “Flipped” is proof that great things come in small packages.  

No comments:

Post a Comment