January 29, 2009

I really, really like you... but I don't love you...


“Hope Was Here”
By Joan Bauer

4

This is a book that I’ve seen pop up on many school reading lists and I became curious about. I also love the cover art, which never hurts. ; )
Hope is a sixteen-year-old girl who is being raised by her aunt Addie. Hope loves her life in New York City and is crushed when she learns that she is moving to Wisconsin to work at a new diner with her aunt. Hope longs to be back in New York City, but enjoys working at the Welcome Stairways diner. This is partially due to G.T. Stoop (the owner) whose positive attitude is contagious in spite of being diagnosed with leukemia recently. When G.T. decides to run for Mayor, Hope helps with the campaign and soon learns how ugly politics can be. G.T.’s campaign changes Hope’s life in more ways than she could possibly imagine.
I thought the book was really great, but I just didn’t quite love it. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed Sarah Dessen’s, “That Summer”. Like many of Sarah Dessen’s books, “Hope was Here” deals with alternative families, the realities of life, and discovering ones identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment