January 26, 2009

My Two Cents on "Eon"



I randomly picked up "Eon: Dragoneye Reborn" by Alison Goodman at work and decided to read it just because it was a book about dragons. There really wasn't must motivation behind the decision. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm very happy with this selection. I feel the need to warn readers that if you are expecting this book to be like "Eragon", you are going to be disappointed. I haven't read "Eragon" myself, but I've heard complaints about this book being nothing like it.

I was totally taken into Goodman's fantasy world that was a blend of Chinese and Japanese histories and cultures. The story is about Eon a boy who is learning Dragon Magic in order to become a Dragoneye. The reader quickly learns that young Eon is not a boy, but is a girl named Eona. Since it is punishable by death for girls to learn Dragon Magic, Eon’s quest to become a Dragoneye becomes increasingly dangerous the closer he gets to this goal.

This book is filled with rich characters that captured me from beginning to end. I was just as entranced by the supporting characters in this book as I was with Eon. Even though most of the action in the text was saved until the end, I was not disappointed because of the rich story being told. Some people may have felt the pace of the book was too slow; however, I didn’t get bored and thought the pace was well suited for its tone.

Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. It had just enough history and adventure to make it really exciting. The second book needs to come out sooner though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em,
    Those are the same reasons I loved Eon. I can't wait to see where Goodman takes the second book!
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to reply to your comment, but I couldn't figure it out.
    -Aimee

    ReplyDelete