August 17, 2010

Review of "Airhead" by Meg Cabot

"Airhead"
By Meg Cabot



5

Pub. Date: May 13, 2008
Pages: 340

Synopsis: EM WATTS IS GONE.

Emerson Watts didn't even want to go to the new SoHo Stark Megastore grand opening. But someone needed to look out for her sister, Frida, whose crush, British heartthrob Gabriel Luna, would be singing and signing autographs there-along with the newly appointed Face of Stark, teen supermodel sensation Nikki Howard.

How was Em to know that disaster would strike, changing her-and life as she'd known it-forever? One bizarre accident later, and Em Watts, always the tomboy, never the party princess, is no longer herself. Literally. Now getting her best friend, Christopher, to notice that she's actually a girl is the least of Em's problems.

But what Em's pretty sure she'll never be able to accept might just turn out to be the one thing that's going to make her dream come true . . . .

NIKKI HOWARD IS HERE TO STAY.

I can't really explain why, but Meg Cabot books never really appealed to me that much. Maybe the covers don't speak to me like other books, but I just never felt a draw to pick them up. Luckily, my library carries a bunch of her book on audio, so I thought I would give it a shot. I am so happy that I did, because I absolutely love her writing style. I found "Airhead" to be really funny and I found that I could really relate to Em Watts. Even though the plot to the book is completely bizarre, Cabot makes it work. I feel like she is able to write paranormal and sci-fi themed books that people who may not enjoy these genres will still enjoy.

Even though some of the characters are really annoying, I still enjoyed them. Nikki's best friend does some pretty obnoxious things, but she does them out of love. She may not be smart, but her heart is in the right place. I have to admit, I kind of have a crush on Gabriel Luna... a singer with a heart of gold... what girl could resist?!

On top of all of this, the book deals a lot about the topic of the modeling industry. I found it really interesting to see it from both sides. You get Em Watts's perspective of it from an outsider, as well as what it is like working in the industry as Nikki Howard. This really took the book to another level to me, but Cabot didn't do it in a way that made the book less fun or entertaining.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys fun books. I enjoy serious books that help me think about situations I may not have considered before, but I was still able to love this book. I have read a couple more of Cabot's books and loved them both. I will definitely be continuing with this series and I will be reading more Meg Cabot!

No comments:

Post a Comment