August 24, 2010

Review of "Mockingjay"

"Mockingjay"
Suzanne Collins



6

Pub. Date: August 24th, 2010
Pages: 400


Synopsis: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

After reading "Mockingjay", "The Hunger Games" series is definitely my favorite teen series and is at the top of my All-Time Favorites list. Like the first two books, I could not put "Mockingjay" down. The only time I stopped reading it was when I fell asleep. I woke up extra early because I just HAD to finish the book before going to work. This is the only series where each book has captivated me equally throughout. There is plenty of action in the book, but it also gets you thinking about the society that Katniss is a pawn in. I feel like this series does a great job commenting on some of the dangers of living in a society where politics rule everything. It gets you thinking about human nature, and I almost feel like the series is a warming of where our society could go if governments become too strong.

I have to admit that I was expecting more Peeta and Katniss romance than was actually in the book, but this didn't disappoint me at all. I think Collins made the right choice by focusing the story on the revolution that was happening, it made the book much more powerful. I honestly don't have a single criticism for this book. The characters were fantastic, and I love how characters that we thought we knew had a different side to them in this final book. I don't think I could have thought of a better ending for the book. Even though it was tragic for numerous reasons, I felt like it fit perfectly with the other two books in the series. There were surprises, but they were calculated and felt organic.

I guess my only complaint is that I can't believe there will be no more books in this series. I love Katniss and Peeta; I guess I'll just have to find new characters to fall in low with. I probably could go on for pages about how amazing this book is, but I will let you discover the rest of the book’s awesomeness for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment