February 7, 2011

Manga Mondays: Fairy Tail Volume 1

Fairy Tail Volume 1
Hiro Mashima

4

Pub. Date: March 25th 2008
Pages: 208
Publisher: Del Rey

Synopsis: THE WICKED SIDE OF WIZARDRY
Cute girl wizard Lucy wants to join the Fairy Tail, a club for the most powerful wizards. But instead, her ambitions land her in the clutches of a gang of unsavory pirates led by a devious magician. Her only hope is Natsu, a strange boy she happens to meet on her travels. Natsu’s not your typical hero–he gets motion sickness, eats like a pig, and his best friend is a talking cat. With friends like this, is Lucy better off with her enemies?

"Fairy Tail" was recommended to me by one of my friends and I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I am happy to report that it was pretty great!  It was a very entertaining mixing comedy with adventure.  I liked the mystery of Fairy Tail and how it seemed like this very posh guild for wizards, but it turns out to be the exact opposite of what I expected- kind of like Natsu.  It is really funny to see the different sides of his character; one minute he is really funny and a bit of a pig, and the next he is a total bad ass.  Natsu's character is complex and it adds some depth to the story.  Lucy is a fun character because she is pretty shy, but she doesn't run screaming from fights.  I really enjoyed learning about Fairy Tail and other wizards with her.  Happy, the talking cat is priceless and I couldn't help but adore him. 

The artwork was perfect for the tone of the manga.  It was a good balance between goofy and violent depending on the scene.  The characters' expressions were fantastic and added to the humor.  Lucy did have the stereotypical ginormous breasts that all graphic novel females seem to possess, but I liked her character too much to let this annoy me too much.

I definitely would recommend this manga.  It was fun to read, fast paced, and kind of kooky- just like good manga should be!  I think this series would appeal to males and females.  The story line is full of action and some of the characters are kind of rough, but Lucy is a great female character that will charm any reader.  I'd say more about "Fairy Tail", but it would get kind of repetitive.  Just read it!

Buy From Amazon.com Buy From BN.com

4 comments:

  1. I just started to read Manga and I really am liking it so far. This sounds really fun, not only for me, but also for one of my friends who is a big fan of Manga. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina!
    It really is a fun series. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Matsuri Hino did an excellent job, it takes a lot of five stars. I love to read manga and watch anime.

    ReplyDelete