May 11, 2011

Review of "Delirium"

"Delirium"
Lauren Oliver
Delirium 
6


Pub. Date: February 1, 2011
Pages: 448
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Inc

Synopsis: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


I am so glad I bought this book because it was AWESOME!  I have been reading a fair amount of dystopian fiction in the last year, but I loved the original plot behind "Delirium".  I didn't think this book could be as good as it sounded, but it totally was.  I finished reading it only a couple of days ago and I still feel like gushing!  I wasn't sure how Oliver would be able to make me believe in a society where love was thought to be a deadly disease, but she pulled it off.  Characters' thoughts and actions consistent with what would happen in a society where love was thought to be something that must be cured to avoid death.  Oliver added quotes and children's rhymes that showed how the fear of love was spread from a young age to ensure that everyone looked forward to the day they were lode enough to undergo high-risk procedure.  I thought this was a nice way to show some of the regulations and lies the government disseminated.

I really liked the characters in the book.  Even though Lena seemed week and uptight at the beginning of the book, it was interesting to see how she developed as she unraveled some of the truth behind the lies she grew up believing.  I wasn't sure how I felt about her best friend Hana, part of me wanted her to stop being so reckless and to be a better friend to Lena, but that completely changed by the end of the book.  Alex stole my heart from the moment he was introduced, he is definitely a crush worthy character!  The best aspect of the characters is that they surprised me until the very end of the book.  This is one of those books where the last 75 pages fly by and characters just blow your mind.

If nothing I have said above convinces you to read "Delirium" then maybe the fact it has mystery, love, and danger all rolled into one package.  It really was a FANTASTIC book; I can't wait to see what Lauren Oliver has planned for the next book.  I didn't think "Delirium" could be as good as "Before I Fall", but I actually enjoyed it more; although, I have a feeling that preference will depend on what genre you enjoy more.


Buy from BN.com Buy from Amazon.com

3 comments:

  1. I thought I would love this book but I wasn't such a fan. Not sure why maybe because it reminded me of Matched which I wasn't so thrilled about either. I like the whole distopia genre but they are to serious for me. I did however love Before I fall by her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison- I can see how people who loved Before I Fall may not be into Delirium. They are two completely different books. I loved Matched, so it makes sense I would love "Delirium" as well. I think I might just be a huge sucker for the dystopia genre. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to books. I knew that fans of "Before I Fall" may not like "Delirium" because they are completely different genres. I loved "Before I Fall", but I liked "Delirium" better.

    ReplyDelete