August 29, 2011

Review of "Demonglass"

"Demonglass"
Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel)


5

Pub. Date: March 1, 2011
Pages: 359
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children

Synopsis:  Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Acher to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

I really loved "Demonglass", it actually kind of surprised me how much I loved it.  I know I really enjoyed "Hex Hall", but I enjoyed "Demonglass" more.  I'm not sure if I was just really in the mood for it or what, but I just thought it was a great combination of funny and adventure.  I just love the tone of these books.  They deal with some very serious issues, but Sophie is so spunky it lightens the entire mood of the book.

Sophie struggles with her identity as a demon and desperately wants to go through the Removal.  She is also trying to learn more about her family history while solving the mystery of who is raising demons.  Luckily she has plenty of people to sass off to and other demons trying to get her to loosen up a bit.  If this isn't enough to keep Sophie busy, she is struggling with her feelings for Archer.  I have to say that I love Cal's dry sense of humor in this book.  Yes, Cal plays a major role in this book!  I would explain, but I would be ruining a good laugh.

I was a bit worried that I would miss the setting of Hex Hall, but there was so much going on I didn't really think about it.  I really wanted to know who was raising demons and if Sophie would accept herself as a demon.  Is she just a vessel for evil that will one day take control of her body making her kill innocent people or is this something she can learn to control?

I love the combination of romance, mystery, paranormal, identity, and humor that the both "Hex Hall" and "Demonglass" possess.  Rachel Hawkins has impressed me so far with this series.  It may not be super original, but it is such a fun read full of adventure that it didn't bother me.  I am over the fact that the covers have black cats that aren't in the book.  I was taking them WAY too seriously.  The covers are cute and so are the books.  I would recommend "Hex Hall" and "Demonglass" to fans of Meg Cabot, "Paranormalcy" and the "Magic in Manhattan" series.  I kind of feel like fans of Ally Carter might enjoy this series as well.

5 comments:

  1. I liked 'Demonglass' more than 'Hex Hall' as well. Either way both books are so entertaining and fun. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The review was quite interesting and I am looking forward to read this book and I hope I’ll like it and I thank you for sharing with the community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting and totally different story book, I like to read such books they are so thrilling and creative, thanks for sharing this post, it’s very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Demonglass is a totally different book written this time by Rachel Hawkins, his previous books are pretty ordinary. But this is an interesting one. I already read it once and wouldn’t mind in reading again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a bad book to read, but to be honest I didn’t like the climax. It was bit boring. Because I was confused about Hex Hall’s final diction.

    ReplyDelete