August 28, 2011

Review of "Fire"

"Fire"
Kristin Cashore

Fire (Graceling)5

Pub. Date: September 24, 2009
Pages: 461
Publisher: Gollancz

Summary:  It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. In King City, the young King Nash is clinging to the throne, while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. War is coming. And the mountains and forest are filled with spies and thieves. This is where Fire lives, a girl whose beauty is impossibly irresistible and who can control the minds of everyone around her. Exquisitely romantic, this companion to the highly praised Graceling has an entirely new cast of characters, save for one person who plays a pivotal role in both books. You don't need to have read Graceling to love Fire. But if you haven't, you'll be dying to read it next.

I thought "Graceling" was great and "Fire" did not disappoint.  I was hooked by the end of the first chapter.  I liked that we were shown another part of Cashore's world.  The monsters sounded beautiful and I loved the fact that their beauty would captivate men so that they could kill them.  Even bugs were beautiful enough that some characters would allow for themselves to be bit.  These monsters were just as deadly as they were radiant.  Fire was so beautiful that men had trouble controlling their urges towards her and Fire had the power to control the minds of others.  The danger is both her beauty and power is terrifying and created tons of conflict throughout the book.

I really liked the characters; they were full of depth.  Fire was interesting because she was so hesitant to use her powers even though it would have made he life much easier.  Her moral code was very strict, but that didn't mean she was a saint.  Archer was both a character you couldn't help adore, but sometimes he was such a scoundrel I wanted to slap him.  Some of the characters I disliked at the beginning of the book I grew to love.

"Fire" might not be a book for all readers.  Even though I did not find this book to be slow (I listened to it on audio and I would sit in parking lots DYING to know what happened next) I can see how some readers might not think there is enough going on. I liked that the book wasn't just about the threat to King Nash's throne.  I think "Fire" had a lot more intensity to it because it focused on bigger issues than the struggle to control the Dells.  The book was full of heart and had enough suspense to grip me until the end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment