April 25, 2012


“Why We Broke Up”
by  Daniel Handler
Illustrated by Maira Kalman
My Rating:
 Pub. Date: October 12, 2011
Pages: 352
Publisher: Hachette Book Group
Source: Library
Edition: Hardcover
Short and Sweet Synopsis:  This is the story of Min Green and Ed Slaterton's relationship from beginning to end.  It is told by showing an illustration of an item that Min felt was meaningful to their relationship.

I LOVED "Why We Broke Up"!  Even though I knew Min and Ed's relationship was doomed to fail, I just couldn't get enough!  I was hooked.  This book was extremely personal to me because a lot of it mirrored my first serious high school relationship.  Although, I feel like it should have been way more obvious that our relationship was doomed than Min and Ed's. So for me, this book was pretty nostalgic.  

Other than this personal connection with this failed relationship, there are other wonder aspects of the book.  "Why We Broke Up" is a great look at what first love tends to look like in high school.  It isn't always going to end like this of course, but Daniel Handler does a great job of portraying an honest relationship.  Min and her friends are a great band of characters.  While Ed may not have impressed me, his sister sure did!  Fine, Ed had his okay moments, too.  I loved the illustrations.  They added a personal touch to this relationship taking it from generic to unique.  Honestly, Min and Ed had quite an interesting romance while it lasted.  I am jealous of some of their dates.

While I loved this book, I do know one person who wasn't very impressed.  She was frustrated by the fact that you go in knowing that the characters are going to break up, so what was the point?  She was also annoyed because she felt like the characters were so obviously wrong for each other that it was a no brainer they would break up.  This is a valid opinion and if this is going to bother you throughout the book then maybe this is not the book for you.  I still think my friend is a wonderful person, we may not agree on how awesome certain books are, but I see her point.  I still loved seeing this oh-so-wrong couple try to make it oh-so-right in this crazy messed up world.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment