May 26, 2014

Review of "Hollow City" by Ransom Riggs


Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Pub. Date: January 14th, 2014
Pages: 396

Short and Sweet Synopsis:  The peculiar children have left their island and now must find a way to save Miss Peregrine by exploring time loops with wights and hollowgasts on their tail.

"Hollow City" was a really good book; it had a great plot and interesting new characters.  I especially enjoyed learning about the different time loops.  The book had a good pace and I was constantly worried about the well being of the characters, especially Miss Peregrine.  Would she stay a bird or would the children some how succeed in their impossible quest?  Another aspect of the book that I appreciated was seeing Jacob's peculiar ability develop.

My one criticism of "Hollow City" is that the photographs didn't feel like they added anything to the story.  When "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" came out, I thought the photographs eerily fit the story; however, the photographs in "Hollow City" felt like more of an afterthought.  The pictures in this sequel weren't always good representations of the story or characters.

Overall, "Hollow City" was great!  The photographs were disappointing, but the  story and characters were very intriguing.  There was a twist at the end of the book that I did not see coming and left me craving more.  I will be continuing with this series!


No comments:

Post a Comment