July 22, 2010

Review "Pretty Little Liars"

"Pretty Little Liars"
By Sara Shepard


5

Pub. Date: August 8, 2008
Pages: 304

Synopsis:

Everyone has something to hide—especially high school juniors Spencer, Aria, Emily, and Hanna.

Spencer covets her sister's boyfriend. Aria's fantasizing about her English teacher. Emily's crushing on the new girl at school. And Hanna uses some ugly tricks to stay beautiful.

But they've all kept an even bigger secret since their friend Alison vanished.

How do I know? Because I know everything about the bad girls they were and the naughty girls they are now. And guess what? I'm telling.


Working in a bookstore I had always seen this book on the shelf but was never interested in picking it up. I have to admit that the biggest hook for me was actually the theme song for the show, hearing it on the commercials just made me HAVE to read this book. I feel like these books are guilty pleasures. The characters do all these extreme things from stealing, hooking up with an older man, stealing boyfriends, and more (I don't want to give too much away). I don't know if those things were spoilers, but seriously they are nothing in compared to the rest of the secrets that Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily are hiding. I am dying to know what happened to Ally, who A is, and the secret that would ruin all the girls' lives! I am so glad that the characters are so different, I feel like there is at least one character that most girls can relate to. I feel like now I am an Aria, but in high school I was probably more of an Emily; I don't think I had any secrets nearly as juicy.

Part of me feels that I am way too old to be reading these books, but I seriously could not put down the first book! I am so glad I took a chance on this series and read something that I never thought I would enjoy. I am pretty bummed that I don't get home from work early enough to watch the show on TV. I'll have to see if any episodes are available online... I might just have to splurge and buy them on iTunes.

I don't really know what else to say about "Pretty Little Liars" because it would be so easy to give away some of the plot. If you want to learn more about the series or just want to see a cool website then check out http://www.prettylittleliars.com/. You can make your own character, see hints about some of the secrets in each book, or just learn about the series.
This is the "Pretty Little Liar" doll I made! I think it is time to end this review.

4 comments:

  1. I think there are full episodes on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/pretty-little-liars)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astranoir- Oh fantastic! Thanks for the tip. I will definitely be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I love your blog and so I'm passing an award on to you...you can check it out here at http://ireadtorelax.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a deliciously wicked and riveting read that will keep readers bound to the last page.

    Penelope
    Click here for Atlantic Highlands NJ house cleaning click here

    ReplyDelete