February 25, 2009

Struck by "Rumble Fish"


4


"Rumble Fish" by S. E. Hinton is about a young teenager named Rusty-James who is living in New York City. His father is an alcoholic and his mother is no longer around. His older brother is the only person who looks out for him, but tends to disappear for weeks at a time. Rusty lives in the now and doesn’t comprehend the repercussions of his actions. He longs for the old days of gang wars and his only passion seems to be for fighting.

I must say that I was hesitant to read this book, but I really don’t know why. Someone really close to me had been bugging me to read it for months and even gave it to me as a Christmas gift, but I still pushed it to the bottom of my pile. I ended up bringing "Rumble Fish" on my vacation and read it in less than 3 hours. It was a really great read and I’m so glad that I stopped being so stubborn! The last book I read by this author was "That Was Then, This Is Now" and I really enjoyed it, so I really don’t know why I was putting off reading it for so long.

Hinton manages to make a character that most people would describe as a jerk sympathetic to readers. Even though I did not agree with Rusty’s actions, I could understand why he chose to react in such a way. He is a true product of his environment and Hinton masterfully captures this throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment