February 28, 2009

"Gamer Girl" is a winner!

“Gamer Girl” by Mari Mancusi

4

Maddy’s life has taken a turn for the worst. She has lived in Boston all her life, but now she is being forced to move to a small town in New Hampshire because her mother has left her father taking Maddy and Emily (her younger sister) with her. In Boston Maddy loved her life; she had great friends, went to a good school, and lived in a city with unlimited possibilities. Her new town is a totally different story. After an embarrassing incident on her first day of school, Maddy has been labeled “Freak Girl.” Her mother and sister do not understand her miseries she face everyday at school and her Maddy’s friends from Boston seem to have forgotten her. The only comfort Maddy has found is playing the game Fields of Fantasy with her online friend Sir Leo; however, a fantastical online life cannot make up for the problems in her real life. Maddy must find a way to get out of her rut and function as well in the real world as she does in her gaming world.

The cover of this book has been taunting me at work for weeks. I try not to judge a book by its cover, but apparently I am more superficial then I let on… I’m not a gamer, but I have played World Of Warcraft and I would probably be obsessively playing that game if it weren’t for the fact that I don’t have enough money to pay the monthly prescription. Plus I’m afraid of becoming an addict like some people I know… “cough” mom “cough” brother… oh excuse me. ANYWAY! Part of the reason I enjoyed the book so much was because I totally sympathized with Maddy. High school and I did not mix. I seriously only wish I could have been as cool as Maddy back then... having manga drawing skills would be pretty awesome… I feel like the storyline of the book may have been a little unrealistic; however, that didn’t really bother me too much. It also didn’t bother me that I pretty much knew what was going to happen throughout the book (I tend to be pretty perceptive so I’m used to this). It was just a really fun read that I personally felt connected to. For any gamers, non-gamers, or those who simply just don’t fit in then this is a book for you.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about reading this too. The cover interested me because I did play WoW and enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete