January 13, 2010

"The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey" is a Brilliant Encore

"The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey"
Trenton Lee Stewart


6


Pub. Date: May 2008
Pages: 448

Synopsis: The fabulous foursome readers embraced as The Mysterious Benedict Society is back with a new mission, significantly closer to home. After reuniting for a celebratory scavenger hunt, Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are forced to go on an unexpected search—a search to find Mr. Benedict. It seems that while he was preparing the kids' adventure, he stepped right into a trap orchestrated by his evil twin Mr. Curtain.

With only one week to find a captured Mr. Benedict, the gifted foursome faces their greatest challenge of all—a challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and will require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.

I didn't think that the series could get any better, but this book proved me wrong. The characters were more flushed out and Constance became a bigger part of the team. At first Constance was a character I could have done without at the beginning of the first book, but now I can't wait to read about the development of her gifts in the next book. I think that Stewart could do some really interesting things with her character specifically. I am also curious to see where he takes Sticky and PJ. Besides having memorable characters, the plot kept me on the edge of my seat. Mr. Curtain's henchmen the Ten Men were frightening and added an extra sense of danger throughout the book.

Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed is how Stewart continues to allow deeper emotional and psychological issues that the children have enter into the plot. Reynie's habit of assuming the worst of people and Constance's concerns with the slow process of Mr. Benedict adopting her add depth to the plot. I feel like Stewart has a chance to really build upon these in future books if he chooses to do so.

I am so tempted to read the third book right away, but I want to finish at least one book by a debut author before doing so. I don't want to get too far behind on my challenges! If you want to learn more about the series then check out the website here. There are excerpts from the books, games, and descriptions of the characters. I just thought it was really cute and wanted to share it with you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment