April 30, 2010

Review: "The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma"

"The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma"
by Trenton Lee Stewart



3

Pub. Date: October 6, 2009
Pages: 400

Synopsis: Join the Mysterious Benedict Society as Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance embark on a daring new adventure that threatens to force them apart from their families, friends, and even each other. When an unexplained blackout engulfs Stonetown, the foursome must unravel clues relating to a nefarious new plot, while their search for answers brings them closer to danger than ever before. Filled with page-turning action and mind-bending brain teasers, this wildly inventive journey is sure to delight.

I loved the first two books in this series, but "The Prisoner's Dilemma" moved too slowly for me. I realized I was more than halfway through the book and very little had happened. I love Constance and was happy to learn more about her past, but I felt like most of the book was spent focusing on her past. It was just too much for me. I did listen to this book in audio, so maybe that's why it seemed so bad, but this book just didn't have the fast pace the first two books had. The characters also never seemed to be in that grave of danger for most of the book. They may have been taking a few risks, but none of them seemed that serious in comparison to some of their other adventures. Mr. Curtain was still vicious, but Stewart took some time to show a different side of him. This was another area of the book that slowed down the plot for me.

I did overall like the book and would recommend the series, but I was still surprised that it didn't have the intensity of the other books. The book was really heartwarming and I absolutely loved the ending. I still loved the characters and enjoyed their adventures. Even though Stewart seemed to wrap up the series in "The Prisoner's Dilemma", part of me wants another book just to see the characters in one more death-defying adventure.

1 comment: