April 15, 2010

Review of "Little Miss Red"- Robin Palmer

"Little Miss Red"
Robin Palmer

3

Pub. Date: Febuary 09, 2010
Pages: 272

Synopsis:
Sophie Greene gets good grades, does the right thing, and has a boyfriend that her parents— and her younger brother—just love. (Too bad she doesn't love him.) Sophie dreams of being more like Devon Deveraux, star of her favorite romance novels, but, in reality, Sophie isn't even daring enough to change her nail polish. All of that changes when Sophie goes to Florida to visit her grandma Roz, and she finds herself seated next to a wolfishly goodlooking guy on the plane. The two hit it off, and before she knows it, Sophie's living on the edge. But is the drama all it's cracked up to be?

"Little Miss Red" was a cute, quick read. I enjoyed sitting out in the sun today enjoying the nice weather while reading this book. Even though sometimes I wanted to hit Sophie, I found her to be really genuine and enjoyed her as a character. In my twenties I am sitting hear wanting to yell at her because it is clear to me she is being taken advantage of, but then when I think back to some of my relationships in high school, I know that I let one of the guys I dated get away with some of the same things. Once you live through the mistake, you don't let it happen again ;)

Even though I liked Sophie's character, I didn't really care for the rest in the book. The rest fell pretty flat to me, which made me think Sophie should just move away starting off fresh and fabulous in a new town. The reason I enjoyed this book so much is that Palmer showed that love isn't like in a romance book. Relationships are difficult and usually do not live up to our romanticized expectations; however, that doesn't mean that you can't be happy spending your life with someone you love. I also liked that Sophie grew as a character by the end of the book. She made mistakes, but she learned from them and didn't regret what happened.

I thought it was a cute retelling of Little Red Riding Hood that is fully modernized down to Sophie's addiction to her iphone. I like how Palmer was able to keep the sleazy, smooth talking wolf character, but just disguise him in a human body. I would recommend this book to girls who like fun, modernized fairytales or romances.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds cute and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica- The cover is what sucked me in on this one. The modernization of a classic tale just made it all the more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read the book i thought it was a really good book about romance in high school ....but u have to remember in also 14 soo yeah i loved this book !!!

    ReplyDelete