January 3, 2012

Review of "Entwined"

Entwined
"Entwined"
by Heather Dixon
My Rating:
Pub. Date: March 29, 2011
Pages: 480
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Source: Borrowed From Library
Edition: e-book

Synopsis: Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.
The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.
Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.
But there is a cost.
The Keeper likes to keep things.
Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.
I LOVE the cover of "Entwined".  It fit the romantic aspects that I was sure would be a part of a book that highlighted dancing and magic.  I think I loved the cover a bit too much because the book did not live up to it.  I really liked the retelling of the 12 dancing princesses  fairy tale.  It was great to understand why the King was so harsh.  He became a character with depth instead of just a horrible father trying keep his children from having any enjoyment out of life.  I liked how the daughters struggled to  live with their father.  Their difficult relationship felt true and grounded the story in a way that made it seem more realistic.  For the most part, I liked how the girls didn't adhere to social norms.  They had spirit and I enjoyed that.  
There were a few problems with "Entwined".  First, the daughters were kind of dense about the danger they were in.  I understand their naivety at first, but out of 12 girls only the oldest started to worry... it was very unrealistic to me.  Especially since these girls are strong minded and educated.  Second, the book was kind of slow.  I think it was just a bit too long because there were times when not a lot was happening.  I am a fan of dancing, but some of it could have been cut out.  It was just a bit too much.  I guess the problem was that I didn't love Heather Dixon's writing style.  It just wasn't my favorite.
Overall, I liked the book.  It didn't take me a long time to read, I just wish there had been more editing.  I am glad I read it because I did enjoy the plot.  I have a feeling that there will be readers out there who love this book, but I am just not one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment