May 27, 2012

Review of "Pandemonium"


“Pandemonium”
by Lauren Oliver
My Rating:
Pub. Date: February 28, 2012
Pages: 375
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Source: Bought
Edition: e-book
Short and Sweet Synopsis: Sequel to "Delirium".  Lena has survived her escape into the wilds, but will she be able to survive without Alex?

I have been waiting to write the review for "Pandemonium" because it took me a while to figure out my reaction.  Overall I really liked the book, but I had difficulty getting into it.  Part of my love for "Delirium" was the idea that love was a disease and I thought Oliver pulled it off brilliantly; however, "Pandemonium" just didn't have as much to offer.  It definitely felt like it was setting up for the second book for most of the time. But my biggest pet peeve was I thought it was predictable.You may be wondering how I could possibly be giving this book four stars after all that?  Don't worry, I'll tell you why.  

Once I got into "Pandemonium", I couldn't stop reading it.  The characters were complex and I am a sucker for characters with depth.  While I didn't always agree with their actions, I understood them and generally respected the characters.  Lena was pretty kick-ass by the end of the book and I give her props for the turn around.  She was actually driving me absolutely bonkers at the beginning of the book.

The other bonus to "Pandemonium" was that while I found parts predictable, I wouldn't have changed them because I can't wait to read the next book!  Oliver set everything up for a climactic end to her trilogy.  I mean, come on... the ending?  It HAD to be that way!  I knew that was coming and while I was reading it I knew exactly how it would go down, but yet I was still revved up by it.  I had trouble sleeping because I felt like my heart almost exploded.  I can't help but give a book props for making me feel that strongly about it.  Plus, just because I saw a lot of the pieces falling into place early, it doesn't mean that all readers will.  I could see readers being surprised by moments in the book.  I just had a more subtle "of course" reaction to these moments instead of my favorite "OH SNAP!" (these are my verbal reactions while reading, not mental).

To wrap it up, I did not love "Pandemonium" like it's predecessor "Delirium", but I cannot wait to read "Requiem", the final book in the "Delirium" trilogy.  Oliver created some wonderful characters and the ending of the book had me reeling, even if it was predictable.  Hopefully "Requiem"  will give me the "OH SNAP" reaction I so long to have while reading.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment