May 26, 2012

Review: "Theatre Illuminata"


“So Silver Bright”
by Lisa Mantchev
My Rating:
Pub. Date: September 13, 2011
Pages: 368
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: Bought
Edition: Hardcover
Short and Sweet Synopsis: Final book in the "Theatre Illuminata" Series that follows a love triangle between a girl who can write things into reality, a pirate from "The Little Mermaid", and Ariel of "The Tempest".  Can they survive the wrath of a sea witch, face an unpredictable queen, reunite Bertie's family, AND save the Theatre Illuminata?

"So Silver Bright" was a perfect ending to a wonderful series. These books have such a unique plot that they completely swept me into their world. The "Theatre Illuminata" series is for people who are willing to fall into a fantasy world where anything is possible.  I loved that the possibilities for this book seemed endless.   


The characters are fun and there are moments where I found myself laughing out loud. How can you not love a set of characters that includes four faeries from "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?  They are hilarious and wreak havoc where ever they go.  I will also admit that I have a total crush on Nate!  A pirate with a heart of gold who is ruggedly hansom and 100% man.  Who am I kidding? I just needed to know he was a pirate!  ;)  Ariel is his super sensual self.  Bertie, our leading lady, is growing up but still remains kick ass.  Ophelia also has a memorable part to play in this final installment.


"So Silver Bright" may be a fantasy book, but the characters struggle with issues anyone can relate to.  Bertie is trying to bring together her separated parents by learning about their past.  Ariel is trying to figure out where he belongs in the world.  Bertie is constantly trying to learn about her powers and gain the confidence she needs to be successful in her objectives.  While the problems and actions are fantastical, the emotional struggles of the characters are realistic. 


I really hope Lisa Mantchev continues to write novels because I want more of her fantastic creativity.  I am very sad that this is the final book in the "Theatre Illuminata" series, but I am happy with how it ended.  

No comments:

Post a Comment