March 31, 2009

"The Graveyard Book" is Gripping!

"The Graveyard Book"
by Neil Gaiman

6

Nobody Owen's life is far from ordinary. When he was just a baby, a mysterious man killed his family in the middle of the night. He escaped into a graveyard and was found by the souls living there. The graveyard's residents decide to take him in and figure out a system to care for him. Mr. and Mrs. Owen, a married couple who never had children, take the baby as their own and give him the name Nobody. The graveyard’s “caretaker”, Silas, takes special interest in Nobody bringing him food and supervision. Even though Silas and the other souls look after the young boy, he won’t stay a child forever. As Nobody grows older he yearns to interact with the living; however, he has no protection outside the graveyard walls and a man from his past is still looking to finish the job he started many years ago.

I really loved this book! It was so original that I didn’t really know where it was going to take me next, but I was totally up for the ride. This review is hard to write because I do not want to give anything away. I’ve only read “The Graveyard Book” and “Coraline”, but I feel like Gaiman is a wonderful storyteller who develops an alternative world that seems like something out of a dream; however, he makes the dream world a reality. I truly believe this book deserved both the Cybil and Newbery awards. Nobody’s story is worth a listen; it is filled with mystery and adventure that I could never have imagined.

I have to admit that I could be slightly biased because I do enjoy exploring graveyards. It may sound weird, but they all have different personalities. I bet I’ll be thinking about this book on my next excursion.

4 comments:

  1. This is on my must buy and read book list! I've heard such great things about this book. One day I will get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,
    It is definitely worth buying! I heard so many great things about it that I just had to get it and I don't regret spending the money for the hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to read this. Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, and I marvel at the ease with which he transitions between writing "adult" literature and writing children's and young adult literature. For a quick, cute children's book, you might want to check out "The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish," especially if you are a fan of Dave McKean's art.

    Also, apologies for posting so far back in your archive. I became interested in your blog and wated to read through from the beginning :)

    ReplyDelete