December 17, 2009

"Pirates!" Rekindles My Addiction to Everything Pirates

"Pirates! "
Celia Rees


5

Synopsis: Nancy Kington, daughter of a rich merchant, suddenly orphaned when her father dies, is sent to live on her family's plantation in Jamaica. Disgusted by the treatment of the slaves and her brother's willingness to marry her off, she and one of the slaves, Minerva, run away and join a band of pirates. For both girls the pirate life is their only chance for freedom in a society where both are treated like property, rather than individuals. Together they go in search of adventure, love, and a new life that breaks all restrictions of gender, race, and position. Told through Nancy's writings, their adventures will appeal to readers across the spectrum and around the world.

Before I write my review for this book, I must say that I am bias because I LOVE pirates. With that said, I loved this book! I was really excited when I found this book at the library on audio and it made my commuting fly by. The story was great and Nancy was a fantastic character to follow. Her life takes all these twists and turns that throw her into terrifying situations, but Nancy takes them each in stride with help from the people closest to her. I also loved Minerva and how brave she was no matter what the situation. I also liked how Rees was able to show the role that women played in society at that time. I find women's history very interesting and Rees was able to intertwine these issues into the story without bogging down the plot.

I loved the book so much I ended up buying Louis .A. Meyer's "Bloody Jack" because I wanted more books about pirates. If you like books with strong female characters, adventure, or pirates then this the book for you. I haven't read any other of Rees's books, but I would like to read more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment