November 15, 2010

Review of "Avalon High"

"Avalon High"
Meg Cabot

5

Pub. Date:
December 27, 2005
Pages:
304

Synopsis: Avalon High, Ellie's new school, is pretty much what she'd expected. There's Lance, the hunky footballer; Jennifer, the cute cheerleader; Marco, the troublemaker. And then there's Will - the most gorgeous guy Ellie's ever met. She can hardly believe he likes HER. When Will says he thinks he's met Ellie before, things start getting a little weird. A feeling that grows as Ellie discovers the strange bonds that entwine Will, Lance, Jen, Marco - and herself. As darkness turns to danger, can Ellie stop the horrific chain of events that is about the engulf them all…

Another win for Meg Cabot! This is my favorite book by the author that I've read so far. You should keep in mind that I've only read a handful of her books; luckily I am working on remedying this tragedy! I just wish I could get my hands on more of her books on CD! I listened to "Avalon High" in my car and at the gym and had serious problems stopping. I loved the spin of the Arthurian legend and how Cabot was able to make it believable (never doubt her power to make a fantastical plot work). You may think that there are no mysteries to this book and that all the characters are what they seem, but Cabot is able to add a few twists that I didn't see coming. I loved all the character. Lance even grew on me. Cabot created a fantastic villain; he/she was complex and embraced his/her evil side. I know that may sound weird, but I feel like villains can fall short sometimes in books.

I absolutely love the balance between humor and conflict that Cabot is able to bring to her books. I also love the fact that I never feel like her books are dragging with wasted space. Her books always seem to be the perfect length to fit exactly what needs to be there, no more, no less. I know this isn't always the easiest part of writing, but as a reader it drives me nuts when I feel like books could easily be sped up. I worry sometimes about authors who write a lot of books because sometimes I feel like they get lazy, but so far I haven't found this with Cabot. I am hoping that she keeps the spark in her writing for many more years to come!

4 comments:

  1. Did you see they made this into a movie on the Disney Channel? I loved the book and was very disappointed in the movie because they totally butchered the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that, but it doesn't surprise me that the movie would ruin the book. It seems to be what happens good majority of the time. I will be sure not to waste my time on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this book. It was my first introduction to Meg Cabot. Have you read her Mediator series? It's my favorite Cabot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the book. it was magical and fun. The movie is slaughter it which is a huge shame. I agree with Small Review, the mediator series is amazing, definitely worth a read.

    I'm a new follower by the way :)

    ReplyDelete