November 25, 2010

Review of "Nightshade"

"Nightshade"
Andrea Cremer


6

Pub. Date: October 19, 2010
Pages: 453

Synopsis: Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything-- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

I absolutely loved "Nightshade", it was definitely one of the best books I have read all year. Calla is such a strong character, I couldn't help but admire her. Even though Ren was kind of a womanizer, but he also had a lot more to him than his sex appeal. He was just so charming, but then again so was Shay. Calla's brother and best friend were also fantastic characters... to be honest all the characters were pretty great. Even if I didn't like their personalities, I felt like they added a lot to the book.

I also loved the mythology Cremer created in her story. It was interesting to me that there was this whole other social structure functioning in a world and humans were completely unaware. I also liked the spin on classic werewolves; it seemed to combine them with shape shifters. I hate to say it, but it kind of reminded me of the werewolves in the "Twilight" series. Although there are a lot more politics involved with the packs in Cremer's world.

My favorite part of the book had to be Calla's struggle with personal freedom. I like how this paranormal romance went to another level through the conflicts of civil rights. A lot of the characters were being oppressed, but many of them didn't seem to mind. They may not have even thought about it, or may not have wanted to.

All these elements that Cremer has woven into "Nightshade" make for an amazing series. I can't wait to read "Wolfsbane", the next book in the trilogy. I am glad I won't have to wait a full year for more in the "Nightshade" series. I read on Cremer's website that she is working on a steampunk book that explores what would have happened in the American Revolution never took place... I am pretty psyched about this! If it is anything like "Nightshade" it will be FANTASTIC! Click here for more about "Nightshade" and an excerpt from the book.

Buy From Amazon.com
Buy From BN.com

3 comments:

  1. I love reading about you get very excited about this book. I really feel like reading. And I totally agree with everything said about the female characters YA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this, but haven't managed to read it with so many books in the TBR pile. I can't wait to dive into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to read this. I would probably Shay team, but mostly because I would have imagined that the hunky guy who plays his little web series to promote the book.
    dreambox 500s

    ReplyDelete