November 16, 2010

Super Quick Review of "Night World #1-3

"Night World # 1-3"
L.J. Smith



5

Re-release Date: June 3, 2008
Pages: 752

Synopsis: Vampires, werewolves, witches, shapeshifters -- they live among us without our knowledge. Night World is their secret society, a secret society with very strict rules. And falling in love breaks all the laws of the Night World.

In Secret Vampire, Poppy thought the summer would last forever. Then she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Now Poppy's only hope for survival is James, her friend and secret love. A vampire in the Night World, James can make Poppy immortal. But first they both must risk everything to go against the laws of Night World.

Fugitives from Night World, three vampire sisters leave their isolated home to live among humans in Daughters of Darkness. Their brother, Ash, is sent to bring the girls back, but he falls in love with their beautiful friend.

Two witch cousins fight over their high school crush. It's a battle between black magic and white magic in Spellbinder.


I love L.J. Smith since I was a teen and read a few books in the "Night World" series about 10 years ago or so. I didn't get to read most of the books because the bookstore where I lived stopped carrying most of her books. I was so excited when I found out they were re-releasing L.J. Smith's books. I was worried that I inflated the awesomeness of the "Night World" series and that I would end up being severely disappointed; I am happy to report that this was not the case.

I had trouble putting "Night World" down. I love the paranormal romances in this series, even though they obviously aren't realistic, but I still LOVE the idea of soul mates and how you cannot control whom you fall in love with (no matter how much they repel you). Part of the reason I like this idea of soul mates that you meet and fall in love with spot on is that they can be anyone, even if you are racist you could fall in-love with someone of the race you loath so much. It makes the characters reassess their irrational hatred toward one another. I think this message can transcend from the fantasy idea that vampires can love witches to a real situation where people can love each other no matter what race or religion they belong to. Maybe that seems like a huge leap to some people, but I like to think positive.

These books are fun, fast and I never know what is going to happen next. I loved all 3 books in this collection, but I am not picky about what paranormal being I am reading about. I am definitely planning to read more of the "Night World" series and highly recommend L.J. Smith to anyone who enjoys paranormal romance.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked these. :) I also read them about ten years ago. I love them, but I had a real hard time tracking them down. I'm so glad they republished them.

    ReplyDelete