May 31, 2009

On My Chair

This is where I post the books that I borrow from the library, buy, or I receive via mail in the last week.

"A Brief Chapter In My Impossible Life"
by Dana ReinardtSynopsis:
Simone’s starting her junior year in high school. Her mom’s a lawyer for the ACLU, her dad’s a political cartoonist, so she’s grown up standing outside the organic food coop asking people to sign petitions for worthy causes. She’s got a terrific younger brother and amazing friends. And she’s got a secret crush on a really smart and funny guy–who spends all of his time with another girl.

Then her birth mother contacts her. Simone’s always known she was adopted, but she never wanted to know anything about it. She’s happy with her family just as it is, thank you.

She learns who her birth mother was–a 16-year-old girl named Rivka. Who is Rivka? Why has she contacted Simone? Why now? The answers lead Simone to deeper feelings of anguish and love than she has ever known, and to question everything she once took for granted about faith, life, the afterlife, and what it means to be a daughter.

"What the Dickens"
by Gregory Maguire
Synopsis:
It's the story of What-the-Dickens, a newly hatched orphan creature who finds he has an attraction to teeth, a crush on a cat named McCavity, and a penchant for getting into trouble. One day he happens upon a feisty girl skibberee who is working as an Agent of Change--trading coins for teeth--and learns that there is a dutiful tribe of skibbereen (call them tooth fairies) to which he hopes to belong. As his tale of discovery unfolds, however, both What-the-Dickens and Dinah come to see that the world is both richer and less sure than they ever imagined.

"Are We There Yet"
by David Levithan
Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Elijah is completely mellow and his 23-year-old brother Danny is completely not, so it's no wonder they can barely tolerate one another. So what better way to repair their broken relationship than to trick them into taking a trip to Italy together? Soon, though, their parents' perfect solution has become Danny and Elijah's nightmare as they're forced to spend countless hours together. But then Elijah meets Julia, and soon the brothers aren't together nearly as much. And when Julia suddenly decides that maybe it's Danny she's really interested in, Danny has a decision to make: does he honor his relationship with the brother he thinks hates him, or does he follow his heart, which sorely needs some repairing of its own?

This meme (In My Mailbox) is brought to you by Kristi's (The Story Siren)
Synopses taken from Barnes and Noble (www.bn.com).

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you got some really good books this week. What the dickens sounds like quite a good book. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so can't wait for What the Dickens! Great haul!

    Happy Reading :].

    Here's mine:

    http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/05/oohh-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books! I've heard a lot about David Levithan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved What the Dickens. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed What the Dickens. I'm a huge Gregory Maguire fan. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It was pretty neat. Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhh, the lovely book chair:-D LOL
    Are we there yet is really good!
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your reading chair, it looks so comfortable and your books this week look so very good. What the Dicken's has gotten my attention and I need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh lucky you! I've been wanting to read a brief chapter in my impossible life for a LONG time now. enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Are We There Yet, and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete