November 26, 2009

Bitten by "The Forest of Hands and Teeth"

"The Forest of Hands and Teeth"
Carrie Ryan

5

Synopsis: In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

I picked up this book because I heard that it had zombies that would scare the pants off me and I was not disappointed. This alternate reality where zombies have taken over the world was pretty terrifying. It kind of reminded me of a cross between the movies "The Village" and "28 Days Later". I expected zombies to be tearing apart people, but I did not expect the chill I felt when reading about "The Sisterhood" making it more than just a book about monsters. Ryan has created a story with depth through her portrayal of human emotion and survival instincts. Mary is a wonderful main character for this book because she has unfaltering faith in a seemingly hopeless situation. Her hope pulled me through situations where I would have given up.

This book is great for anyone who likes books about alternative realities, horror, paranormal, love, or just someone who likes to read survival stories. The next book "The Dead-Tossed Waves" is coming out in March and I can't wait! Learn more about this book on Carrie Ryan's website.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! The zombies and the scary sisterhood and of course the forbidden love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've passed by this book at Barnes and Noble maybe a dozen times and each time, it catches my eye, though I've never actually picked it up and read the back. I like the title, and now that I've read what it's about, I really want to read it. I've been yet to find a book with zombies in it that actually scare me. So I will definately be adding this to my book list. :)
    Great review by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brianne. I passed by this book many times as Barnes and Noble too and then one day I just gave in! I hope you enjoy it as much as me and Alexa did!

    ReplyDelete