November 28, 2009

Review: "Witch and Wizard"

"Witch and Wizard"
James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet

4

Synopsis: The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

This was the first book by James Patterson that I've ever read and even though I was impressed by the plot, I was not a huge fan of the writing style. The book was fast paced, but the super short chapters and the multiple point of view was kind of annoying. It took me a while to get used to the switches. Luckily, I really enjoyed the plot about witches and wizards not being aware of their powers and how this new government took over and started imprisoning all of them. It almost seemed like WWII with witches and wizards being the target of genocide instead of the Jews, gypsies, Communists, and homosexuals.

The major thing that I think Patterson and Charbonnet did right in the book was how they portrayed The New Order. The organization is terrifying already and I have a feeling this is just the beginning. For a group that is so fervently anti-witchcraft, it appears that they use magic when it serves their desires. It seems as though there are many layers to The New Order and that we are just getting a glimpse into their true purpose. I really want to read the next book because I want to know what will happen with The New Order and the prophecy.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys action, fantasy, sci-fi, alternative realities, paranormal, or is just looking for a quick read. You can also download a free e-book version from Barnes and Noble by clicking here. This is a limited time offer, so I don't know how long it will last.

2 comments:

  1. I do like James Patterson's plot lines, but as for his writing style, it's not one of my favorites. But I always seem to come back for the interesting themes.
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed at how well James Patterson could reach the youth on their level! This is a terrific series without all the garbage like foul language, yet a little intense where it is similar to a post apocalyptic setting. The book was a phenomenal price and shipped super fast, packaged nicely! Would definitely recommend for children sixth grade and up!

    Zia
    Injury Lawyer San Antonio

    ReplyDelete