April 23, 2009

I Adore "The Roar"

"The Roar"
Emma Clayton


5

Ellie was taken away from her family when she was a child and the government told her parents she drowned. Ellie's twin brother Mika never accepted this and has spent years trying to figure out what happened to her. Ellie begins to question whether or not the government has been truthful about the animal plague that forced humans to live behind a wall in cramped London. Her questions lead her to break out of her captivity on a starship in order to tell her family that she is still alive. She even brings her pet monkey with her as proof that animals are safe for humans to be around. When Ellie's escape fails, Mika feels even stronger that she is alive and begins a dangerous hunt to try to find her.

I loved this book because it had a lot of interesting elements. Clayton's future world is really twisted, but believable at the same time. It left me with a lot to think about at the end of the book. I really hope there is a sequel because I really want to know more about what happens! There are so many great characters in the book that I can see high potential for a sequel. I don't think it would be the worst thing if there wasn't a followup, I mean there would be some unanswered questions, but it wouldn't be disappointing. Sometimes it is okay to leave things a little open ended.

The worst thing I can say about "The Roar" is that it was a tad bit slow at some points. Other than that I really loved it! It kind of reminded me of "The Hunger Games" with its corrupt governments keeping people in poverty. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who likes sci-fi or "The Hunger Games". Here is a trailer for the book... it is really cheesy... but you get the gist of it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this. I was wondering if it was any good. Looks like I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie- I kept staring at this book for weeks at work and I finally gave in and borrowed it. It really is a great book, I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this book a few months ago and finaly opened it and was very happy 3 days and i am almost done. I am glad i picked it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice to hear that there are other people out there enjoying this book. :) It is definitely worth the read!

    ReplyDelete