April 13, 2009

Pass On "Pride And Prejudice And Zombies"

"Pride And Prejudice And Zombies"
by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith


2

"Pride and Prejudice And Zombies" is a rewrite of Jane Austen’s original texts with the addition of zombies. A plague has broken out that allows the dead to rise with the soul purpose of eating brains. Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters have been trained to be deadly assassins in order to help rid the country of the undead. Is it possible to find love in these dark times?

I was really disappointed in this book because I like my zombies to be over the top and blood thirsty, but I found these zombies to be pretty lame. Yes they did crash a few parties, but they were so easily killed that they weren't scary. I never once feared for the characters' lives at any point of the book. I was excited about this book because I was hoping that the writer would just do some crazy things like turning one of the Bennet girls into a zombie; however, I was extremely disappointed that Grahame-Smith just added tidbits of zombies to the overall story.

Overall it was an okay read. I wouldn't say it was horrible because the original "Pride and Prejudice" story line saved it, but it just wasn't as original as I would have liked. The beginning of the book was good, but it lost steam about halfway through. It almost seemed like Grahame-Smith got bored. I think I enjoyed the illustrations more than the text by the end of the novel. I may have enjoyed this book a bit more if I hadn't just read the original "Pride and Prejudice" last week, but I felt like it was the same book just with the word zombie thrown in every once and a while. I think it would have been more successful as a short story. I don't think it warranted an entire novel.

With all this said, I kind of feel like I need to read a really scary teen zombie book, if anyone has any good suggestions then please leave a comment. I assume most zombies in books are more terrifying. Unless they are better portrayed through film... but I believe in the power of creating terrifying creatures through print!

2 comments:

  1. Not necessarily for teens, but I continually hear good things about World War Z (though it might be much more serious than what you had wanted). I recently picked this up for my nook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I have heard of that book... I may have to check it out on my nook as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete