September 20, 2009

Short Story Sundays

I decided to take a break from my usual ghost story collection and read some stories from "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark". I read The Girl Who Stood On a Grave, A New Horse, Alligators, and Room for One More.

The Girl Who Stood On a Grave is about a girl who is dared to stand on a grave. She completes her dare, but the story ends in a very surprising way. I think this was my favorite one of the four. I could totally see myself in that situation and having the same thing happen. I rate it a 4 because the ending was not at all what I expected and to me it was creepy.

Room for One More was my second favorite of the four stories. It is about a man's odd dream and how part of it plays out in real life. I know that isn't much to go on, but you must remember these stories are about a page long. This was another 4 for me.

A New Horse tells the story about a guy who claims that a witch is turning him into a horse at night and riding him around town. One night he manages to reverse the role and has his own fun with the witch. I found this story to just be completely goofy, not scary at all. I give it a 2.5 because it was okay, but I could have skipped reading it.

Alligators was another story I found to be kind of goofy. It divulges the tale of a woman who claimed that her husband was turning into an alligator. When they had children, she believed he was trying to turn them into alligators too. This one I felt had a little more scare appeal than A New Horse, so I grade it a 3.

These were some of my favorite stories growing up and I was not disappointed while rereading some of them. Even if some of the stories weren't scary, they were amusing enough to keep your attention for the short span that they lasted. Overall I rate "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" a 4 and it will be a book I keep in my collection forever.

*Sorry that this post is late! I've been having issues with my smoke detector for almost 24 hours and it just got fixed less than 4o minutes ago.

1 comment: