October 13, 2012

Review: "Code Name Verity" by Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Pub. Date: Feb. 6th 2012
Pages: 452
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Short and Sweet Synopsis:  A young British Spy tells her story mixed with details of the British War effort as she waits for her Nazi captors to kill her.

"Code Name Verity" is a beautiful book. While many WWII books focus on the atrocities done by Nazis to the unwanted populations, "Code Name Verity" focuses on the British War Effort. Yes there are Nazis and they do terrible things, but I wouldn't classify this book as a Holocaust book.

"Code Name Verity" follows two young women's journeys as they get wrapped up in a war that changes their lives forever. It is the friendship between these characters that has stuck with me at the end of the book, not the horrors of war.

I'm not going to say anything else about this book because I would give away something important. I really enjoyed uncovering the story knowing very little going in and I would hate to spoil that feeling for other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment