October 17, 2012

Review: Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Pub. Date: July 15, 1994
Pages: 324
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Short and Sweet Synopsis: Andrew "Ender" Wiggins is drafted into battle school so that he can be molded into a military leader that could one day end the world with the buggers for once and for all.  Ender is taken from his family at a young age and

I'm starting to get the feeling that classic sci-fi may not be my genre. I like dystopian, but that may be where my interest in the genre ends.

I had two problems while reading Ender's Game. I kept waiting for something to happen and by the time there was a twist I just felt like it wasn't a big shock and then the book ended. I wanted to be interested in what was happening, but it didn't feel all that urgent or important. My other problem was with the characters. I just felt bad for all of them even though I found only a few of them to be likable and they weren't in the book very often. It just felt like 300 pages of kids being bullied by their peers and adults.

Honestly the biggest problem I had with "Ender's Game" was the hype. For years everyone has been telling me "I NEED to read this book!" and that "it is THE YA book!". I just don't think very many books could live up to the expectations I had for it.

For me, it was good. I would probably even recommend it, but it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment